[postgis-devel] collect()

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Mon Sep 27 09:44:22 PDT 2004

Hi, Strk,

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:22:37 +0200
strk at refractions.net wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 08:57:59AM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> > Erm, that is a change in semantics that might cause some pain in the
> > downline of dependant programs... what's the rationale?
>
> I've read on this mailing list that some programs use
> nested geometries with known semantics (asGML thread).
> LWGEOM supports nested collection construction from WKT/WKB
> but sometimes transparently flatten them (GEOS output, collect()).
> Allowing user to decide this seems a good thing.

Does the OpenGIS SFS spec say anything about this?

If not, I'd also think that explicit flattening is the better way to go.
I think that extra function call will not really hurt, but the
possibility to use unflattened geometries should be useful for some
cases.

Additionally, it follows the principle to not mangle around with the
users data (bad side effects), and an explicit flattening function may
be useful in other scenarios.

HTH,
Markus

--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich