[postgis-devel] (no subject)

dblasby at openplans.org dblasby at openplans.org
Thu Feb 17 10:25:37 PST 2005

> Great thinking and initiative!

Thank-you!

>work in other databases like MSQL 2005 (which finally supports custom
>types!) and sqlite...

I didnt know that MySQL supported custom types - I'll have to check this
out (its VERY exciting news).

>Just a question - won't the 3D indexing system and
>operators need to be created in each of the database implementations to
>support the new geometry data type?

Yes - indexing is the main problem.  Most databases are at least saying
they are planning on implementing GiST indexes (which you can implement
an R-Tree index in).

>Also I was wondering if you see this project as potential complete
>replacement for PostGIS library?

Thats a difficult question to answer.  I'd first like to know if this
will work under different systems (I've got it working under x86 linux,
and there's good indications that it will work under windows, solaris
sparc, mac OSX, and others).  I need to put in a day's work to get WKB
support (for all DBs) and then another day or two to get the postgresql
version indexing and setup a proper type.  (see the TODO at the end of
the [postgresql bindings] page)

Assuming that there's no major problems (ie. doesnt work on other
systems) I think that its advantages (maintainability, instant JTS
improvements, and cross-DB compatibility/sharing) will lead PostGIS to
move over to this model.  But, thats up to the PostGIS community - not
me.  We'll see what people think.

I'm particularly excited to see MySQL and Postgresql (plus the
opensource java databases) all using a common code base - it should
make all the application programmers happy (all databases behaving the
same).

dave