[postgis-devel] GeomUnion Performance Info

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Tue Jun 21 15:03:32 PDT 2005

I thought this would be of interest for the GeomUnion performance thread.

In particular, last question suggest to implement the disjoint-bbox
short-circuit in JTS directly.

--strk;

----- Forwarded message from Michaël Michaud <michael.michaud at free.fr> -----

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:57:57 +0200
From: Michaël Michaud <michael.michaud at free.fr>
Subject: [jts-devel] Graph computation in JTS
To: jts-devel at lists.jump-project.org

Hi,

Some slow operations in JUMP are operations involving union on big
geometries (or iterative unions over a big set of geometries). I don't
say JUMP is slower than... (this operation is slow with all the GIS I know).
I tried to figure out which part of the code may be involved (union -->
OverlayOp ? --> PlanarGraph ?), but the graph part of JTS sounds a
little bit complex to me and I have not a clear idea of how a planar
graph is computed.
Here are three questions related to graph computation in JTS :

- is there a document presenting how a graph is modelized and how a
graph is computed in JTS ?

- some classes are repeated in several packages (ex. PlanarGraph). Is it
a programmer's choice, or does it need to be cleaned ? When one add JUMP
packages and JCS packages, it may be quite difficult to find the good
class for the good job !

- while computing a graph involving big geometries (for a union, an
overlay, or any graph-based operation), are there any short-circuit to
avoid computing segment intersections when geometry envelopes are
completely disjoined, or when envelope1 and candidate segment of
geometry 2 are completely disjoint ? (where in the code may I find
answers to these questions ?)

Sorry for just speaking about what should be better
JTS is really a great library and I love it

Michael