[postgis-devel] WKTRaster: RASTER and CHIP

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Fri Jan 16 11:19:43 PST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: postgis-devel-bounces at postgis.refractions.net
[mailto:postgis-devel-bounces at postgis.refractions.net] On Behalf Of Mark
Cave-Ayland
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 12:32 PM
To: PostGIS Development Discussion
Subject: Re: [postgis-devel] WKTRaster: RASTER and CHIP

Obe, Regina wrote:

> > Playing devlis advocate to Kevin's devils advocate.
> >
> > I personally think its fine and am with Paul on this.
> >
> > 1) WKT Raster has to live somewhere and it should live in the same
> > repository with PostGIS because that is the most likely place people
> > will expect to find it.

> This isn't necessarily the case; think pgrouting for an example of
this
> type of project.

I don't know I would if I would think it bad if pgrouting were included
in our repository.  Seems a lot of people ask questions about it on this
list anyway.  So I always thought the issue was philosophical more than
logistics.

>> 2) It is going to have to be back-patched at some point whether it
lives
>> in its own branch in PostGIS repository or someplace else in the
world.
>> So I consider the whole discussion about the difficulty of
back-patching
>> moot.

> I think Paul summarised in his email what I was saying but in much
fewer
> words; working in a branch is kinda okay as long as the WKTRaster
> developers don't mind constant merging from trunk/fixing things based
on
> changes to the PostGIS core. Although my feeling is for the initial
cut,
> it may be less work to host the project independently and do a first
> merge when it reaches a relatively stable point.

Yes I agree with branch I wasn't talking about integrating it in just
yet with
our core branches.  I agree it should be a separate branch.
I'm just saying regardless of where it is hosted, you still have a
back-patch
issue so I don't see how it holds things up having it as part of our
repository and for me personally
would make it a little easier to compare.