[postgis-devel] [WKT Raster] Regular blocking in gdal2wktraster.py

Mateusz Loskot Mateusz.Loskot at cadcorp.com
Thu Mar 19 04:37:25 PDT 2009

Folks,

I'm going to add regular blocking support to gdal2wktraster.py loader.
It means, I'm going to refactor current implementation of the loader,
so it supports also tiling by block size and I'll add new options.

Pierre, in particular, if you're going to submit some substantial
changes to options layout or "wkblify" functions, please be aware
that we may mess things up if we both do it at the same time.

Generally, in regular blocking mode, it will be possible to load
only one raster file which is tiled according to size of block
reported by loved-by-everyone-and-precious GDAL library.
The loader will fill RASTER_COLUMNS table with all required meta data,
as they are reported by GDAL.

I think that spatial index (option -I, --index) should be generated
by default, if regular blocking requested.

For the sake of simplicity, I will stick to the following additional assumptions:
- single input raster file (as mentioned above)
- only create or drop-and-create mode possible, but no append to table
- no out-db tiles supported
- if filename column requested (option -F, --filename), dummy
file names will be generated, like basename-RxC where R and C are
indexes of row and column of particular tile - or something similar.

If anyone would have comments or suggestions on how regular blocking
support should work in gdal2wktraster.py, please don't hesitate to
share them now.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot