[postgis-devel] proliferation of trac components

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Wed Feb 29 10:44:59 PST 2012

I think the key that if someone says we have a bug in postgis, and
enters it in the postgis trac, and it turns out to be totally dependent
on a 3rd-party library, we still need to keep trac of the issue on our
side (so that we can ensure that it is resolved). A bug would still be
filed in the 3rd party's bug tracker. The question is whether we should
keep our trac bug in the component to which it belongs, or have a
separate place to put these sort of bugs.

Since the real use of trac components is the ability to assign a user as
the custodian for each component, it seems to me that it would make
sense to leave gdal bugs that cause raster problems, in the raster
component, because it is the raster custodian who will eventually make
sure that they are resolved. But I can also see why you might like to be
able to clear your plate of such issues which you can't resolve, putting
them aside in their own "3rd-party" component. We probably don't need
3rd-party compeonents for EACH 3rd party, though.

Chris