[postgis-devel] extras/tiger_geocoder/upgrade_geocoder.bat and CRLF

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue Aug 8 09:01:45 PDT 2017

On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 10:36:55AM +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 10:28:03AM +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 05:11:33PM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:
> > > Disregard my note.  Maybe I was catching things mid change or I had a typo in my testing.
> > >
> > > Strk latest commit for .editorconfig works for me.  CRLF is preserved.
> >
> > Great, thanks Mateusz for the finding and Regina for the testing.
> > And thanks to editorconfig.org people for the great tool !
>
> Unfortunately things seem to be broken again as of r15541
> What happened Regina ? Did editorconfig not kick in this time ?
> Does "svn diff" show no change when you do change those line endings ?

I've installed subversion to try at understanding this issue.
On the SVN side, checking out the file results in a file with CRLF.
On the GIT side, checking out the file results in a file with only LF,
which is automatically injected CR after download, becoming the same
as the SVN checkout.

The difference is that on the SVN side you see no difference (`svn
diff` shows no diffs) while on the GIT side you do see the difference.

My suspect is that SVN is just ignoring the line ending, intentionally
hiding what's on the server side and always showing CRLF on the client
side. Maybe if the file was marked as a binary file rather than text
file things would be different.

I don't see how could an SVN only user possibly see what's being
committed at this point :(

According to
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.advanced.props.file-portability.html
the `svn:eol-style` setting value 'CRLF' (what is in current use
for `extras/tiger_geocoder/upgrade_geocoder.bat`) should ensure server
side has `CRLF`.

At this point I'm guessing it is the GIT side messing things up,
some wrong configuration in .gitattribute ?

--strk;