[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Change PostGIS library name to drop the minor

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Tue Sep 5 11:06:15 PDT 2017

On 05/09/17 13:22, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Yes, certainly seems like interim measure #1 is to carefully document
> what a pg_upgrade upgrade looks like and it's one of
>
> - install newest postgis in your old postgresql, ALTER EXTENSION to
> upgrade to that
> - install new postgresql version and newest postgis in that, do the
> pg_upgrade
> - you're done
>
> or
>
> - install new postgresql version and your current version of postgis in
> that, do the pg_upgrade
> - install newest postgis, ALTER EXTENSION to upgrade to that, you're done
> - you're done
>
> It's not many steps, frankly. The "only" reason this is hard for casual
> users is because we almost always lack the "old postgis, new postgresql"
> or "old postgresql, new postgis" combination in packaging. We could
> start begging packagers to cover those combos, if the pg_upgrade use
> case is a killer features (probably is)

Right. From my perspective I expect that the vast majority of people
will be using a fixed upgrade path, e.g. RHEL 6 to 7 or between Ubuntu
LTS versions, so it would be useful to find out the most popular combos
to understand if it is possible to accommodate them within the project
itself.

Without having support within PostgreSQL extensions for these types of
cross-version upgrade then I don't think we can realistically support
every possible upgrade combination that exists, but we should reach out
to the distributions to work out what we can and cannot support and even
invite code contributions from vendors to handle them if it's something
we can't manage to resource ourselves.

ATB,

Mark.