[postgis-devel] [postgis-users] Oddity in _ST_Expand(geography) ?

Pavan Deolasee pavan.deolasee at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 22:18:32 PDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 6:47 PM, Pavan Deolasee <pavan.deolasee at gmail.com>
wrote:

> While I look at the XL side more carefully and see if we can revert back
> to PG's behaviour, I still believe this is a problem that we should fix on
> the PostGIS side (too). AFAIK in PostgreSQL we assume that out/in functions
> should safely convert a value to a string and back to its in-memory
> representation. So keeping that guarantee for the "geography" data type
> seems like the right thing to do.

Any feedback here? I am willing to write a patch if the community guides me
in the right direction. My knowledge of PostGIS is quite limited and I am
not sure if changing the text representation of the geography type is
acceptable.

BTW I tried to work around this problem by patching ST_DWithin(geography,
float) so that the overlap is checked inside the C function. While that
fixes the problem at hand, it regresses the query planning because planner
can no longer see those additional quals and switches from an index scan to
a seq scan. So I'd to abandon that approach.

Any help is highly welcome.

Thanks,
Pavan

--