[postgis-devel] Bump GDAL and Proj versions for PostGIS 3

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Jul 8 09:15:11 PDT 2019

Christoph Berg <myon at debian.org> writes:

> Re: Even Rouault 2019-07-08 <1601840.ZlCh8DZyrr at even-i700>
>> > gdal | 1.11.3+dfsg-3build2  | xenial/universe        | source
>> > proj | 4.9.2-2              | xenial/universe        | source
>>
>> People can use ubuntugis there:
>> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
>> has
>> GDAL 2.2.2 for Xenial
>
> I'm building postgis packages for apt.postgresql.org and I'd hate to
> have to tell people to use yet another external repository for stuff
> we ship. (And I'd rather also avoid having to build yet more
> backports inside our repository.)

Something I have long not understood:  If someone is ok with gdal 1.11,
why aren't they ok with postgis 2.2?

It seems any given packaging system/instance either updates or doesn't.
Certainly there are times when there are new versions and the update is
paused, such as proj 6 where a number of depending packages no longer
build.  But I haven't been hearing that about gdal.