[postgis-devel] Postgis 3.1 minimum requirements update

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Nov 11 07:27:44 PST 2019

I like the idea of making 9.6 the minimum because then all versions we support will support the PARALLEL code clause and one less version of PostgreSQL to keep testing.

+0 there

However I'm not seeing much else we gain by dropping from looking at the feature matrix.  But there might be a lot of changes in underlying  code paths to warrant it.

For reference I also like to look at the Feature Matrix -- https://www.postgresql.org/about/featurematrix/  to see what other old legacy code we can drop

There is CREATE EXTENSION CASCADE .. but that doesn't affect us too much since that doesn't support ALTER EXTENSION

GEOS upping to 3.8  -  -0  on that.  I just feel GEOS 3.8 is too new to make it a requirement.  When we get closer to release time I may change my tune on that. I'd feel more comfortable once GEOS 3.9 is released.  I do like that it will make some of our regression tests easier where GEOS 3.8 behaves differently from 3.7 and I think we have some code that tries to make GEOS 3.8 behave like old (or did we take it out).

So that said I'm not strongly opposed to making it the minimum.

Thanks,
Regina