[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Move from svn to Git (and by git I mean Gitea)

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed Oct 23 03:48:09 PDT 2019

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 12:02:18PM +0200, rmrodriguez at carto.com wrote:
> After reading the thread there is one thing clear for me: apparently
> nobody is using SVN to develop so I think we can agree that it needs
> to go away.

+1 -- that's what the motion is about.

> > Anyone trying to review development activity or find code to review has to check three places (actually four, since they should check the trac issue report too)
>
> Technically, anyone that opens a PR in those places should also open a
> ticket in trac, but nobody does because it means working twice for no
> reason.

This is really only a problem for management.
We want to know which changes to include in a release
when we're at the release process.

> > I hadn’t even realized I was ignoring a whole third point of development
>
> I only check trac and Github. I'm not saying it's right, but I never
> log in other platforms so those essentially don't exist for me.

I only check trac, when I wear the "manager hat", but I don't wear
that hat very often so I'll leave considerations about that to those
who do ...

> > Pull requests landing on any mirror but not having a
> > corresponding Trac ticket should be just ignored, IMHO.
>
> I think that is the wrong way to go. For any other project I've even
> contributed to, if the project accepts PRs, opening one has been the
> only thing I've ever needed to do. If we want more people
> contributing, which I hope we do, we shouldn't have unnecessary extra
> steps.

I agree on this: if a project accepts PRs, opening one has to be
the only required step.

This needs to apply to every channel we accept proposed changes
from, and I think we should have as many channels as possible:

  - Patch by email or official issue tracker
  - Link to patch by email or official issue tracker
  - Link to branch by email or official issue tracker
  - Pull request by mail (git-request-pull)
  - Pull request on available mirrors

I don't see "move all to GitHub" giving us the solution to accept
all the above things.

--strk;