[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Move from svn to Git (and by git I mean Gitea)

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Oct 23 08:21:19 PDT 2019

> And a workflow that dupes everything doesn t bother you? It is one of the many many roadblocks we place in the way of contributors.

> This is the part where Regina chimes in and claims that road blocks are a good thing, so we have:

> (a) multiple places to work branches/PRs is a good thing and
> (b) deliberately making contribution is a good thing

> and I don t know what to say to folks who honestly hold those opinions.

I think people may have interpreted my statements to mean I will not accept pull requests on GitHub and want to impose more work on casual developers or require people to do a ton of work.

I'm not against accepting pull requests from Github at all.

My point is if the reason to move to Github is so you can click the trigger on the pull request to accept -- and you're drowsy and half asleep, I don't want that.
I want YOU as a committer to work a bit harder.  Putting the extra road block of take a diff etc and commit to your repo and push I feel will give you time to digest.  With git /git more of the meta data will be kept.

You guys sometimes are lazy and moving to Github will make you lazier :)

In fact I'd be happy to setup some sort of hook on github that allows you to click a button to push or at least pull from gitea.

> I hate to see all the effort lavished on all this programmer wankery that could be eliding by going to the place where the developers are. It s not like we re

> locked in, we ve moved before, we ll move again. We moved to different places because they provided better collaboration than the places they replaced.

> Recently that metric has changed to instead wanting places that provide ideological consistency for a subset of the PSC.

Moving from trac/gitea  to Github is way easier than moving from Github back.
Plus last I recall your trac migration to Github included some sacrifices.