[postgis-devel] Inconsistencies in text output

rmrodriguez at carto.com rmrodriguez at carto.com
Fri Apr 17 09:35:42 PDT 2020

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 6:20 PM Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> wrote:
> This seems like a change that most users would regard as a net reduction in functionality.
>
> What's the win we are getting that makes this worthwhile?

Consistency and working according to the documentation.

I wanted a way to ensure there would be no loss of information when
doing storage1 > wkt/geojson -> storage2 as not having this has caused
issues where the stored geometry was valid, but after moving it using
GeoJSON it wasn't valid anymore.
The solution option there was to ask for more resolution, but since
the function isn't working as announced I wouldn't get it.  Yes,
ideally the end system should be able to read WKB, but that's not
always the case.

--
Raúl Marín Rodríguez
carto.com