[postgis-devel] Function Removal

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Dec 16 13:22:48 PST 2020

> Yeah, I'd happily just leave those old signatures there, but unfortunately
> their existence makes the new signature impossible.
> Maybe just keep on risk managing this?

My vote

Add SRID to ST_Point(x,y) -- you can keep existing or overload.  Overloading
with another that has srid not optional would be more backward compatible.
That's the one I use and that most people should be using as it's shorter to
type and name wise is listed in SQL/MM.

Introduce a

ST_3DPoint(x,y,z, srid) -- wholly new so no chance of breaking existing, and
fits our convention of ST_3D in front of 3d functions
ST_3DMPoint(x,y,m, srid)

As mentioned in IRC that extra  Make in ST_MakePoint seems so superfluous.

Thanks,
Regina