[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Release PostGIS 3.1.0alpha1 in 1 to 2 weeks

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Jan 20 09:10:03 PST 2020

I'd like to release PostGIS 3.1.0alpha1 in 1 to 2 weeks and preferably
before we do PostGIS 3.0.1.

Reasons

1)      I'd like to test our first git release on a non-stable branch as we
changed the tagging to not have the old svn number.  I don't think we've
backported this change to 3.0 branch yet, or maybe we have and I missed it.
But if packagers have no issue with the change (Raul did some work in this
area which should hopefully make packagers happy), then we can make it in
3.0.1.

Hopefully this will encourage packagers spin a release if we have a release
tag.  Chris Berg said debian absolutely needs a release tag before they will
provide a package, but he things Bas would be willing to for an alpha.  I
haven't asked Devrim, but I think he follows the same rule -  NO TAG NO
PACKAGING

2)      Some people have shown interest in new changes - e.g. This cool new
thing -  https://postgis.net/docs/manual-dev/ST_HexagonGrid.html

ST_TileEnvelope margin addition -
https://postgis.net/docs/manual-dev/ST_TileEnvelope.html (though this seems
to be missing in our What's new section cause it wasn't tagged quite right -
I'll fix that.

https://postgis.net/docs/manual-dev/PostGIS_Special_Functions_Index.html#New
Functions_3_1

A lot of these folks rely on packagers to get their binaries.  Velix (on
IRC) said he'd try to break stuff if debian packaging carries it.  In
particular he's interested in the hexagon and Square thingy.

Other things I'd like to do before alpha release which I'm hoping to get
done this week

1)      Troubleshoot and fix  failure under windows of shp2pgsql -
https://winnie.postgis.net:444/job/PostGIS_EDB_Regress_winnie/10256/console

BEGIN

psql:E:/jenkins/postgis/tmp/3.1.0dev_pg12_geos3.8.0_gdal2.4.3w64/loader.out:
4: ERROR:  relation "loadedshp" already exists

-

../loader/ReprojectPtsD ..... ok in 2698 ms

../loader/ReprojectPtsGeog ........ ok in 3430 ms

../loader/ReprojectPtsGeogD ........ ok in 4287 ms

../loader/Latin1 .... ok in 11635 ms

../loader/Latin1-implicit .... ok in 1461 ms

../loader/mfile .... ok in 3279 ms

../dumper/literalsrid ... failed (dumping:
/projects/postgis/tmp/3.1.0dev_pg12_geos3.8.0_gdal2.4.3w64/dumper-literalsri
d.err)

-

Error in psSHP->sHooks.FWrite() while writing object of 28 bytes to .shp
file: No error

Error writing shape 0

2)  Take a look at transifex and translation doc building.  I think they are
broken but been afraid to look.