[postgis-devel] Upgrade paths (again)

Christoph Berg myon at debian.org
Mon Aug 8 03:44:14 PDT 2022

Re: Sandro Santilli
> The problem of NEEDING to install upgrade paths for ANY POSSIBLE
> postgis extension version installed kind of remains unsolved
> even if it's more of a packaging issue than a postgis installation
> issue. What we could do is provide some administration command
> (re-using the existing "postgis" command, for example?) to install
> the <version>--ANY upgrade paths for specific arbitrary versions
> of PostGIS or for those found to be used in databases of a given
> cluster, something like:
>
>   loader/postgis install-upgrade-path-from <version>
>   loader/postgis install-upgrade-paths-for <database>
>
> Comments ? Especially from packagers, as the loader/postgis would
> then possibly need to be called at upgrade time to figure out what's
> needed...

I don't have a comment as a packager since we aren't auto-upgrading
extensions at pg_upgradecluster time yet, but as a user, I'd really
hate to have to execute some snowflake extra script that would
presumably even require root privileges. 300 extra files on the
filesystem are not a problem if they mean the PostGIS upgrade is less
painful.

Christoph