[postgis-devel] spatial_ref_sys view

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Feb 4 11:30:16 PST 2022

On Fri, Feb 04, 2022 at 11:20:44AM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> > On Feb 4, 2022, at 10:31 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
> >
> > I'm with Raul about dropping the table as a whole, maybe replacing
> > it with a view (for OGC compliancy) returning the data as queried
> > from the proj.db by a C function (I'm assuming this is possible).
>
> I wondered about this, and there is *some* machinery to pull definitions
> out of the proj API, but it's not clear to me that the machinery as
> currently constituted would be fast enough for our purposes. It is also
> (probably) pretty recent, as the API was quite sparse in the earlier
> proj releases.

Then a view based spatial_ref_sys would be a great step in that
direction, can you see that ? That way in some future time we'd
just replace the view to do something different.

When you talk about speed, in which cases do you think querying
spatial_ref_sys is going to be a problem ? Aren't we caching the
lookups ?

--strk;