[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Make spatial_ref_sys as a view

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Mon Feb 7 17:04:50 PST 2022

On Tue, Feb 08, 2022 at 01:53:50AM +0100, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2022 at 03:58:56PM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> > I have system entries showing up in my
> > spatial_ref_sys_user table, not because I changed anything but because
> > the EPSG entries in the 3.2 version of postgis are oh-so-slightly
> > different from the ones in the 3.3 (currently spatial-ref-sys-view)
> > version of postgis.
>
> Do you have better ideas of which entries from spatial_ref_sys
> in pre-view times could be sacrificed ? Personally I was not even
> sure we wanted to drop the 100% equal entries...

I actually had an idea to reduce this pain in the future:
add a keep_in_upgrade column in spatial_ref_sys_user
with an indication of when to keep those entries, like:

  - Only keep is srid/auth_name/auth_srid does not
    exist in spatial_ref_sys_postgis

  - Always keep

  - Only keep if srid does not exist in spaital_ref_sys_postgis

  - Something else ?

--strk;