[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Make spatial_ref_sys as a view

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue Feb 8 11:46:10 PST 2022

> On Feb 8, 2022, at 9:58 AM, Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:
>
>> Anyways, I'm a -0 shading into a negative one unless you trot out some
> users
>> who will worship this change.
>>
>> P.
>>
> [Regina Obe]
> Paul,
>
> If you do decide to give a -1 for this, please come up with an alternative
> plan for fixing this bug moving forward
> and making sure it stays fixed.
>
> My feeling is spatial projections are more influx these days, so this will
> become more of an issue moving forward.
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/5024

I'm less sure of that, and I feel like more knobs and whistles in this area of the project will just result in more issues and confusion. I have sketched out an alternate approach that addresses the issue raised on the mailing list in a straight-ahead and blunt-force manner.

https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/5024#comment:22

Does it do everything the piles of view machinery and so on does? no, it does not, but that's really the point. It's very easy to reason about the state of things and explain what user behaviour will result in desired results and what will result in undesired results.