[postgis-devel] ANY

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Feb 9 10:09:06 PST 2022

> On Feb 9, 2022, at 1:13 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2022 at 02:10:37PM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>
>> What is the nascent plan for ANY?
>
> Ideally upstream would allow writing in the .control file
> the path to an upgrade script, maybe with wildcards.

What would that look like? It's quite a bit different from the upgrade scheme as originally envisioned (a magic chain of incremental files).

I'm trying to figure in my head some way to warping our current system into the incremental scheme.

At a minimum, it's worth noting that almost all of our patch-level upgrades would have a zero-byte incremental upgrade files.

On a completely different tack, the idea of postgis--ANY--x.y.z.sql seems surprisingly reasonable. Do you remember why it was adjudged problematic when brought upstream in the past?