[postgis-devel] Proposal: drop support for libproj < 6.1 in PostGIS 3.3.0

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Fri Feb 11 16:45:37 PST 2022

> This is kind of the place I feel blind. Like what are the extant proj
versions at
> Ubunto 20, 18, 16... ?
> I'm leery about turning off those old versions, because old proj is still
so
> commonplace. I understand that to some extent we have to drive change,
> but within reason. There's a maximum amount of pain we want to cause
> weiged against benefit.

[Regina Obe]
As an extra metric, I'm looking at a Google Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL
instance.
And it has:

PostgreSQL 12.8 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by Debian clang version
12.0.1 , 64-bit

POSTGIS="3.0.3 r3.0.3" [EXTENSION] PGSQL="120"
GEOS="3.5.0-CAPI-1.9.0 4392" SFCGAL="1.3.8" PROJ="Rel. 6.0.0, March 1st,
2019" GDAL="GDAL 2.4.0dev, released 2018/99/99"

Looking at what google cloud offers,

https://cloud.google.com/sql/docs/postgres/extensions#postgis

I'm not sure what proj the PostgreSQL 14 offers (maybe someone has that
running) but I'm guessing the 13 is not much better than 12 since max on
that is 3.0.3 too.
Which means proj is buggy as hell probably and why they are running with a
dev version of GDAL is very mysterious to me.

That said though since they are not even at the latest minor, they probably
won't be upgrading to 3.3.0 anytime soon
And if they are for their PostgreSQL 15, then yah lets bump up that Proj to
make sure they are running with a decent version of proj :)
Lots of google cloud users will be happy at the forced proj upgrade.

Thanks,
Regina