[postgis-devel] Postgis 3.3 extension upgrade on AWS RDS Postgres 13.3

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Feb 15 09:55:53 PST 2022

> > AWS doesn t allow the below. But I think it should work as part of the
> > ALTER EXTENSION as you have it in 3.3 as that runs under a higher
> > level account.
>
> In 3.3 I had `postgis_extensions_upgrade()` do the UPDATE to pg_extension.
> If that's going to error out, under AWS, while the previous approach worked,
> we'll probably want to revert that change.
>
> --strk;
[Regina Obe]
I suspect it will work, but I'll confer with Amazon RDS staff.

The failure as I understand it is probably caused by the fact the

CREATE EXTENSION / ALTER EXTENSION is run by a real super user rdsadmin or some such thing.
For the brief period that people run those commands they are doing it as a real super user.

But after, there permissions are lowered back to normal,  they can no longer update system catalogs, that is why a user can't do it except when done under EXTENSION upgrade.
We already do catalog updates for aggs for < 12 as I recall, so that should have triggered the same issue.

Thanks,
Regina