[postgis-devel] postgis_letters in project tree?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Jan 26 13:43:30 PST 2022

> On Jan 26, 2022, at 1:22 PM, Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:
>
> Might be too big to throw into main (data wise), but as included as a
> separate extension in repo would be nice.

I'm not too sure I buy any "size" arguments any more.

> But would people be bothered with yet another extension?

This is my concern, otherwise having a postgis_letters extension makes sense. It will likely get bundled by default, if it's a no-deps part of the main postgis repo. So that solves the availability problem. Just seems overkill to have an extension for what is essentially one function. Also, if we are using it in doc examples and so on (my ulterior motive) having it be part of core means the examples will work out-of-the-box.

Also, I don't think more than one font is "necessary", like that's a serious YAGNI for the use that it'll be put to (easy examples).

P.