[postgis-devel] Upgrade PostGIS from 2.5.4 to 3.1.2

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu Jan 27 01:56:43 PST 2022

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 04:04:51PM -0500, Regina Obe wrote:

> In addition, having the lib not change, means you are not fully upgraded
> until you run the
>
> SELECT postgis_extensions_upgrade()  or ALTER EXTENSION ..

This is STILL the case. You are NOT fully upgraded until you run

  SELECT postgis_extensions_upgrade()

Let's make it very clear for users that upgrading files on the
operating system level is NOT enough for upgrading postgis databases.

> Which means for basic use, you can easily test with just the new lib, and
> back out of an upgrade by uninstalling the new version and reinstalling the
> old version.

You would really only be testing specific kind of changes (not any new
or changed signature, not any script-only speedup or refactoring or bugfix)
and could also incur in crashes due to scripts being incompatible with
underlying library. Let's remember we currently have NO automated test
coverage of these kind of upgrades.

--strk;