[postgis-devel] postgis_letters in project tree?

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu Jan 27 02:14:54 PST 2022

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 04:22:40PM -0500, Regina Obe wrote:
> Might be too big to throw into main (data wise), but as included as a
> separate extension in repo would be nice.

What advantage would this be compared to separate extension in
separate repository as it is now ? Just wondering...

I think the whole "extra" business in PostGIS was mostly done
because it was hard, with SVN, to have a new repository.
Nowadays OSGeo (among many others) allows users to easily setup
their repositories, so why would we want to merge things togheter
rather than keeping things modular ?

I'd be even tempted to move address_standardizer out, as I don't
think it's postgis-specific ?

> I suppose it is good for testing out functions and hello world :)

What advantage does it bring to testing that's not already available
from geometry generation functions ?

--strk;