[postgis-devel] postgis_letters in project tree?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Jan 27 05:08:58 PST 2022

Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 04:22:40PM -0500, Regina Obe wrote:
>> Might be too big to throw into main (data wise), but as included as a
>> separate extension in repo would be nice.
>
> What advantage would this be compared to separate extension in
> separate repository as it is now ? Just wondering...

I had no idea postgis_letters existed, so a few questions/comments:

  There is talk of big, but how much are we talking about?  Currently on
  my system package sizes are:
    postgis: 29 MB
    server:  20 MB
    client:  16 MB
  So if we're talking 500 kB, it's not a big deal, but doubling the
  package size for something only makes senes if most users want it.  I
  can't see that more than a few  would want it.

  Different packaging systems have different approaches to splitting
  packages that are from a single upstream release.  In general, if
  things are supposed to be packaged separately, it's nicer/cleaner to
  have them separate upstream.

  I don't understand what postgis_letters is for, and why people would
  want it.  Fonts don't really exist in space like most objects people
  represent in postgis.  I suppose a few people might do this to be able
  to shift/scale to coordinates to stake out a garden that makes a word
  when viewed from the air.  So what's it for?  Is it just test code?  A
  neat hack for fun?   Somehow helpful for map rendering?  The repo
  doesn't explain; the linked example supports "this is test data for a
  tutorial/exploration of what the functions do'.

  It seems that the extension should come with code to process fonts in
  standard representations, rather than preprocessed fonts.  It could
  then just use fonts already on the system, and it would be both more
  powerful and smaller.