[postgis-devel] postgis_letters in project tree?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Jan 27 08:38:04 PST 2022

> On Jan 27, 2022, at 8:15 AM, Bruce Rindahl <bruce.rindahl at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>   It seems that the extension should come with code to process fonts in
>   standard representations, rather than preprocessed fonts.  It could
>   then just use fonts already on the system, and it would be both more
>   powerful and smaller.

The point it me is not font-making or any of that. The point is a mechanism for making shapes that people already understand (letters!) and thus make good starting points for visual examples of geoprocessing, examples they can run themselves and tweak locally. The pretty pictures are compelling and explanatory.

https://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/302-Word-Play-with-Spatial-SQL.html

It's to support postgis documentation, not to provide any real-world utility. For me having font processing is not the point. I'd also like to find a way to embed the font information into the a simple letter generation function, so there's no need for a support table, that's how unconcerned I am with things like "changing the font" or "customizing the letter table". I just want a functional way to generate graphical outputs to feed into other functions to show how they work, with known shapes as the input.