[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Get rid of micro in PostGIS Extension scripts (and comments from others)

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Jul 6 09:36:17 PDT 2022

> > > How's this different from:
> > >
> > >   postgis--2.0.0--ANY.sql  (0 bytes)
> > >   postgis--ANY-3.3.0.sql (the only upgrade script)
> > >
> > > --strk;
> > [Regina Obe]
> > Because we don't want
> >
> > postgis--2.0.0--ANY.sql
> >
> > as that gets overwritten with every single minor install.
>
> A file named `postgis--2.0.0--ANY.sql` would NOT be overritten with
upgrades
> as in my view that file would be installed by
> PostGIS-2.0.0 and nothing more.
>
> The solution I'm proposing is:
>
>   Each new release X.Y.Z ships:
>
>     - postgis--X.Y.Z--ANY.sql  (0 bytes)
>     - postgis--ANY-X.Y.Z.sql (the only upgrade script)
>
> This will only solve the problem from this point in time on, upgrades from
> OLDER releases of PostGIS would still need to be dealt with in some way,
so
> the MAX idea could be used for that, maybe back-installing for each old
> release their corresponding 0-bytes file postgis--X.Y.Z--ANY.sql but only
if
> missing ?
>
> --strk;

The problem with that solution is that it presumes you are overlaying
installs.
Many packagers (and people for that matter) uninstall the old version and
then install the new.
In pg_upgrade, there is NO old install.

So you will not have a postgis--2.0.0--ANY.sql  lying around to use.

I think this whole thing is not worth pursuing.  It was mostly a windows
issue, aside from the plethora of use-less links, and I've dealt with it for
my windows packaging, so I'm much less passionate about changing anything
for other packaging systems.

-- Regina Obe