[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Get rid of micro in PostGIS Extension scripts (and comments from others)

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Jul 7 04:54:46 PDT 2022

Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> writes:

> Ok, I see, then unless we'll consider upgrade scripts "configuration"
> we'd still need to always install upgrade scripts for all paths of all
> old releases. And there's no way the -MAX thing will save us from
> referencing each and every possible older release as we'd still need
> the path OLD.SPECIFIC.THING--MAX.OR.ANY ...

Upgrade scripts are definitely not configuration.  Configuration is
things like /usr/pkg/etc/foo.txt for the foo package, where that fine is
small and expected to be edited by most installs for the user to say how
they want it.

> Given the above I don't see a way to reduce pollution other than
> avoiding the OLD.SPECIFIC.THING--CURRENT.INSTALL.VERSION but rather
> alwyas override the same OLD.SPECIFIC.THING--ANY path, which you
> mentioned, Regina, as being something that packagers don't like.
> Do you confirm, Greg, that you don't want a file like:
>
>   postgis--2.0.0--ANY.sql
>
> Installed by multiple contending versions of PostGIS ?
> The idea is that file would mostly always have the same content
> (no content at all).

I don't follow why you would think I'd object.  I guess the core
question is whether it is reasonable to install two versions of postgis
at once.  If that's going to work then everything has to be versioned.
Right now shp2pgsql for instance, is not, and that's good because users
expect postgis to provide that command.

I am not that happy about every time I update the package there are a
whole bunch of new files -- especially for beta versions -- that I have
to add into PLIST.  But it seems necessary (except for beta/rc stuff,
which I think are best left to people that use those to cope with) so I
don't complain.

In pkgsrc we do have multiple  versions of pgsql but I don't think we
allow multiple versions to be installed; it's a choice.   postgis can be
built against the installed pgsql version, and there is only one version
of postgis.

Note that while I just described pkgsrc the way packaging systems deal
with this issue is quite variable.