[postgis-devel] PostGIS 3.3.0beta1 released

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Jul 8 07:46:33 PDT 2022

"Regina Obe" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:

> The PostGIS Team is pleased to release PostGIS 3.3.0beta1
> Best served with PostgreSQL 15 beta2 and GEOS 3.11.0.

Builds ok on NetBSD 9 amd64 with:

  PostgreSQL 12.11 on x86_64--netbsd, compiled by gcc (nb3 20190319) 7.4.0, 64-bit
    Postgis 3.3.0beta1 - (6fa645c) - 2022-07-08 14:25:54
    scripts 3.3.0beta1 6fa645c
    raster scripts 3.3.0beta1 6fa645c
    GEOS: 3.11.0rc0-CAPI-1.17.0
    PROJ: 6.3.2
    GDAL: GDAL 3.5.1, released 2022/06/30

(yes I know my proj is old)

Tests are as ok as they have been for me (I need to spend time
debugging, not a postgis problem most likely.)

Random very minor comments:

  > The new --enable-lto flag improves math computations.
  Does this mean "gets more correct answers" or just "expected to take
  less CPU time"?  I think it's the latter.  Either way, would be good
  to adjust wording to accurately describe it.

  NEWS is really verbose, more Changelog.  I am guessing the plan is to
  is to coalesc all the post-3.2 entries when it's rc and release time,
  so there is just "notable changes since the last formal release".
  Listing bugfixes doesn't strictly belong in NEWS, but I'm fine with a
  final bugfix section that can be easily skipped.

  Would be good to sort new features before enhancements in NEWS.
  something being faster is nice, but a new capability is a much bigger
  deal, though less of one than breaking changes.

  Additional features with geos 3.9+, should change some features with