[postgis-devel] PostGIS 3.3.0beta1 released

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Fri Jul 8 08:58:04 PDT 2022

> From: Greg Troxel [mailto:gdt at lexort.com]
>
> Random very minor comments:
>
>   > The new --enable-lto flag improves math computations.
>   Does this mean "gets more correct answers" or just "expected to take
>   less CPU time"?  I think it's the latter.  Either way, would be good
>   to adjust wording to accurately describe it.

Expected to take less cpu time. Darafei, please correct me if I misspoke.

>   NEWS is really verbose, more Changelog.  I am guessing the plan is to
>   is to coalesc all the post-3.2 entries when it's rc and release time,
>   so there is just "notable changes since the last formal release".

Correct.  It was getting silly repeating the same entries, and for people
testing out the betas and rcs, I figured they'd be more interested in things
that changed from last time they looked.

When the release comes, I will bring up all the stuff you see in 3.3.0dev
section to the top and make that 3.3.0. I've been trying to make sure that
all the things in the betas/rc1 are already accounted for in the section you
see as 3.3.0dev

>   Listing bugfixes doesn't strictly belong in NEWS, but I'm fine with a
>   final bugfix section that can be easily skipped.
>
>   Would be good to sort new features before enhancements in NEWS.
>   something being faster is nice, but a new capability is a much bigger
>   deal, though less of one than breaking changes.

I'll resort it on release time.  I don't know why people put it in this way.
But agree new features are more interesting.

For Bug fixes, I am including all in the betas, rcs.
Come release time, I'm only including bug fixes that we don't plan to
backport to older versions because they are too invasive or might cause
undesirable behavior changes.  For example the geography distance fix.
There was concern it might change old behavior people were expecting, so
it's just a fix (which I guess you can call a behavior change).

I don't know what you'd call a bug fix you can't backport - maybe a CHANGE
or enhancement.

>   Additional features with geos 3.9+, should change some features with
>   >= 3.9 and some features >= 3.11.

Hmm I think some features became available in 3.10 like the ST_MakeValid.
Need to double-check that.

[Regina Obe]