[postgis-devel] PostGIS 3.3.0beta1 released

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Fri Jul 8 09:34:14 PDT 2022

> >   > The new --enable-lto flag improves math computations.
> >   Does this mean "gets more correct answers" or just "expected to take
> >   less CPU time"?  I think it's the latter.  Either way, would be good
> >   to adjust wording to accurately describe it.
> >

> Expected to take less cpu time. Darafei, please correct me if I misspoke.

LTO = Link Time Optimization, allows the compiler to optimize and inline
the code across the source code file boundaries. Removes function calls in
loops and tightens some steps where functions are wrapper over wrapper over
wrapper. With correct -march/-mcpu enables more vectorization than
otherwise possible. Generally a very desired thing when you need
performance (like in PostGIS).