[postgis-devel] Plan release PostGIS 3.4.0 this weekend

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Sat Aug 12 16:28:44 PDT 2023

> > Regarding the bin/postgis thing.  I've marked annotated this as a
> > breaking change
> >
> > https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/postgis/postgis/src/branch/master/NEWS#L68
> >
> > I think it was side effect of
> > https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/635 (yah took us 13 years to
> > fix)
>
> I am not complaining that it exists, just that I didn't figure it out from
NEWS,
> and my packager viewpoint is that if a new file shows up in the package I
> should be able to tell from NEWS that this was intended.
> It's ok now - thanks.

Not saying it was a bad thing, but it's a breaking change to anyone who
expected it to be in PostgreSQL bin folder
Is why I marked it as a breaking change :)

> >> I did find that the (new?) bin/postgis:
> >>
> >>   lacks a man page (I don't get any from build/install and don't see
> >>   that I disabled them, but I am not passing --mandir either)
> >>
> >>   is confusing, at least to me:
> >>

> > Hmm this should have been fixed in the rc1 run, though I don't think
> > Bas ever confirmed
> > https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/5447
> >
> > Maybe something different with BSD we are missing or it's not fixed.
>
> I sent a separate note.  Doesn't seem BSD-specific; feels like just a bug.

I've created a separate ticket for this

https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/5475

I'm debating if this should be fixed in 3.4.1 or we should have another RC
Or just fix it for 3.4.0 and release.
Anyone with an opinion on the matter?

> The man page is much better.  I would suggest removing the mini-howto
> from the usage, and ensuring the man page is right.
>
> The man page should also start out with what it does/is-useful for, so
that
> people that are unclear will be led to clarity more quickly.

Greg -- regarding your suggestions as to how to improve the man pages, can
you
provide a ticket patch or pull request for those.

I'd leave it up to Sandro to decide if he's okay with the revised wordings.
I honestly haven't cared much about postgis_restore in years to even bother
thinking about its use.

For the new postgis command,
as mentioned, the ideal solution would be for upstream to just make
extension upgrading better to
handle situations like ours which looking at what other extension authors
are struggling with, they aren't
that different from us, especially the larger extensions like timescale or
smaller extensions that really only add or remove
functions.

Thanks,
Regina