[postgis-devel] Promote Geometry to MultiGeometry on Insert

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Feb 16 09:19:53 PST 2023

In 3.1 we started allowing people to insert SRID=0 geometries into columns with an SRID typmod, so that people wouldn't have to always add the SRID value when what they *meant* was to insert a conforming geometry into the column. SRID conflicts would still raise an error, but a SRID=0 is not a conflicting SRID, it's an unset SRID, so accepting the geometry and adding the typmod column made sense.

In a similar vein, it kind of makes sense to accept simple geometries as input to multigeometry columns:

CREATE TABLE mp (geom Geometry(MultiPolygon, 3005);
INSERT INTO mp VALUES ('POLYGON(...)');
SELECT ST_AsEWKT(geom) FROM mp;

SRID=3005;MULTIPOLYGON(...)

Again, in the spirit of "do what I mean". If 100% of the time, the response to a "geometry type mismatch" is just to wrap the input in ST_Multi(), the "data integrity check" isn't really helping, it's just adding a step to every interaction.

Comments and concerns?