[postgis-devel] Window-based Clustering

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri Feb 24 10:41:04 PST 2023

Martin and I have repeatedly said “it would be nice if all the clustering functionality was available as windowing functions”, and here I have finally gone and added that in. This adds ST_ClusterIntersectingWin and ST_ClusterWithinWin, as windowing analogues to  ST_ClusterIntersecting and ST_ClusterWithin

https://github.com/postgis/postgis/pull/721 <https://github.com/postgis/postgis/pull/721>

Unfortunately for backwards compatibility we can’t (I think) just yank and replace the existing functions in favour of the windowing ones, even though I think most people will vastly prefer windowing as an approach to cluster functionality.