[postgis-devel] Separate make target to install extension upgrade scripts ?

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Thu Jan 26 23:13:41 PST 2023

> > As a package, if you can tell WHICH older version is going to be
> > removed, you could just run:
> >
> >   postgis install-extension-upgrades $OLDVERSION
> >
> > after having installed the new version.
>
> Interesting, but for pkgsrc we really can't tell what the old version was.

Strk I'm still a bit lost with all of this.
I doubt if packagers will ever know what version a user is running
And users are not going to be able to run the postgis command line.

So answer me this:

You can have the default not install anything, I think that's fine for users
who compile their own
And people can still upgrade with:

SELECT postgis_extensions_upgrade();

Right without scripts?

Then have an all option so I don't need to do the match to figure out what
to put in from..to etc.
Then I assume I can do:

postgis install-extension-upgrades all --pg_sharedir /tmp/share/extension

BTW I tried running
postgis --help

and got an error.

The issue is when I installed it gave it a name postgis.exe, but it's not an
executable, it's a perl script.

So I had to get rid of the exe extension (cause it thinks it a 16-bit app)

perl postgis --help

Any reason you can't just give a .pl extension?

I'll file a ticket.

Thanks,
Regina