[postgis-devel] PSC Vote - Planned 3.4.0beta1 release - next Friday

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Sat Jul 8 11:54:35 PDT 2023

+1 from me -- with plan I'll push out a beta1 (if the below 3 items are
addressed before) or an alpha1 if not addressed.

I'd like to push out a 3.4.0beta1 release sometime next week.  Shooting for
Friday.
I'd at the very least want to push out an alpha by next Friday since
PostgreSQL 16 is already at the beta2 cycle so packagers have a tagged
release they can test with.

In order to push out a beta, there can be no more API changes.  By that I
mean any changes that add new arguments or introduce
new user facing functions.  Bug fixes and refinements to existing functions
are fine.

For alpha release, we can just release.  The important thing is at least we
have a tagged version that packagers can be shipping with PostgreSQL 16
betas.

Looking at the list of items -

https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reope
ned&milestone=PostGIS+3.4.0

There are a couple of API changing items I see slated for 3.4.0 still marked
as open

https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/5119 - [topology] Allow COPY to
topology edge view
https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/5266 - ST_ShortestLine and
ST_ClosestPoint support with geography
https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/5274 - [topology] Expose function to
report azimuth of edges from node

The rest of the items sound like bug fixes or minor adjustments to behaviors
of existing functions
Paul and Sandro -- you think you can get the above 3 done before next
Friday?  I don't mind waiting a couple extra days if needed.

Thanks,
Regina