[postgis-devel] Proj 9.2

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Jun 19 16:17:20 PDT 2023

Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> writes:

> ah, I indeed see that our current filling of the file is
> inconsistent. The general policy is more to have the options
> uncommentted with their default value. I've uniformised this in
> https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/pull/3760

I really do not like having giant config files with lots of statements
by default.  Ideally one should be able to operate with no config file
(or an empty one) and get default behavior.  If so, there's no reason to
have non-commented statements.  All of this is just pain to merge during
upgrades, and if you create a config file that sets only what you need,
everything goes much more smoothly.  I'm speaking from experience
packaging somewhat, but from years of administering systems with many
packages that need config files, with updates from a packaging system.

I also find that having the default value in the line is the least
confusing option.  I didn't know that was the Pg way, but I think it's
the best path overall.

I realize this is like picking a paint color....

Greg