[postgis-devel] Proj 9.2

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Jun 20 03:34:01 PDT 2023

Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2023 at 07:20:27PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>> Basically the set of grids is so big you have to pick your poison and
>> there are no all-around great answers.
>
> Maybe there should be multiple grid packages rather than a single
> proj-data, like there are multiple packages for localized assets ?
>
> apt-cache search libreoffice-l10n | wc -l # 95

Sure, but they users have to figure out what they will need, and
packagers have to either maintain many packages or write code to do it.

This isn't meant to criticize proj.  The basic underlying issue is a
good thing: science has progressed so much that the amount of gridded
data about datum shifts and geoid models is just getting large.

My impression is that it's primarily geoid models driving the growth, as
pre-satellite datums are increasingly of reduced interest and there just
isn't fine-grained data about them due to the nature of passive control,
keeping sizes manageable.