[postgis-devel] Website analytics

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Sun Oct 1 03:24:27 PDT 2023

Recent changes in the PostGIS Manual HTML output (from HTML to XHTML)
have triggered a problem with the Google Analytics javascript code,
which for some reason (which I didn't try to understand) seem
incompatible with the XHTML format.

Given that not all web pages of the PostGIS project are using Google
Analytics (ie: the single-page HTML manual, the cheatsheets, the
main page) I'm not sure if anyone in the project management is relying
on that, thus this mail.

Personally, I'd stop sending our user's IP addresses to Google, using
some self-hosted solution for stats, which may be provided by OSGeo
at some point (see https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2830).

What do others think about this ?

At this very moment the Google Analytics script was removed from the only
place it was used in (chunked html) as a workaround for the problem
reported above and in ticket https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/5559

In this mail I'd like to ask if it's ok with you to completely stop
using Google Analytics and you think we still need those analytics
whether you have a way to take those stats out of Google for reuse
with Matomo (or whatever other solution we'll end up deploying in OSGeo)

--strk;

  Libre GIS consultant/developer
  https://strk.kbt.io/services.html