[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Drop comments from extension build, and drop requirement of docbook for regress testing

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Thu Sep 14 02:07:00 PDT 2023

We have a build and regress requirement of Docbook for basic regression
testing.
This became painfully obvious to me with the upgrade to docbook5 when all
our bots broke, and my system I can no longer regress test.

The main dependency sadly is because of the help comments included in the
extension builds. These bring in a docbook and xsltproc dependency.

I'd like to drop comments from the extension builds with the intention of
also not requiring docbook anything to regression test.

1) The comments can be still be generated by Debbie and packaged in tarball
for those who want to use them and also available on the website as loose
sql files for easy install.
2) We can maybe have a test that tries to install comments (just for those
bots who have docbook), so that we can still catch those issues with people
misdocumenting new features.
3) The garden tests will still require docbook, so those bots we have
running those will still require docbook.

Other bots I expect should not need docbook at all to test.

+1