[postgis] OGI SF SQL ?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Nov 8 22:12:31 PST 2001

David Valentine wrote:

> Does postgis fully support the 1.1 OGIS spec?

It aims to. That is the goal. We are on the path. We are not, however,
over the mountains. We do currently have full support of WKT and WKB, so
the example you cite below should work fine. We also have spatial
indexing. What we do not have is intesection, union, buffer, and exact
topological relationships (touches, contains, overlaps) except for a few
special cases. (Incidentally, a geometrycollection of a single polygon
is a bit redundant, is it possible your WKT dumper is overgeneralizing,
or do you truly have heterogeneous geometry collections to insert into
the database?)