[postgis-users] ESRI San Diego

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Jul 4 11:13:49 PDT 2003

Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

> Don't forget that for everything else they might be to closed source,
> ESRI is one of the founding members of the OGC.

And they have been ignoring any standard which might cause product
interoperability for the past several years. :/ I have no illusions
about ESRI's interest in interoperability or the OGC standards process.
They are an OGC member so they do not get blindsided by pre-release
standards, and so they can manipulate the process in ways which are
convenient to their own product strategies. Just because they are in OGC
does not mean than (a) they are not monopolists or (b) they are not
dedicated to remaining monopolists. MicroSoft is a member of lots of
standards bodies too.

> Are you going to ask them when there's gonna be ArcView for Linux?

I'll ask, if I can. They have a nice Q&A session at the end of the
conference, but it might be on the Friday, and I leave on the evening of
the Thursday. :(  Jack had the gall to talk about ESRI's "commitment to
open source" in his plenary last year -- turns out it just means they
distribute (mostly other peoples) Avenue, AML and VB scripts. Whee, some
commitment. One would think that ArcView 3.X would be a trivial Linux
port, since it already has HP/UX and Solaris ports. Depends on the
underlying cross platform GUI library they used though, which ESRI did
not write themselves but licenced from another company.

--
       __
      /
      | Paul Ramsey