[postgis-users] Arcview & PostGIS?

Nicolas RIBOT nri at scot.cnes.fr
Tue Jul 15 02:32:16 PDT 2003

> hi folks,
> is there everyone, who can say something about the
> possebilities for connect
> ArcView with PostGIS.
> We using ArcView and ArcSDE 8, in the web
> MapServer/PostgreSQL/PostGIS.
> An now we are searching for a solution to connect ArcView
> with PostGIS.

Hi all.
We (at SCOT) developed a VBA script connecting to postgis databases
(declared as ODBC sources): it lists geographic tables and allows to
retrieve them as shapefiles loaded in ArcGIS.
After modifications, shapefiles can be loaded back to postgis.

It is not yet very efficient (parsing is made on the WKT instead of the
WKB) but allowed us to load a 25 Mb shapefile without problem.

It is still an Alpha version.

Some postgis list users interested in this development received a copy
of the module.

If you are interested in testing this module, please let me know.

(our final goal would be to make this development available as an
OpenSource project with CVS, but it is not easy for us as we are behind
a very restrictive proxy)

Nicolas Ribot
SCOT SA.
http://www.scot.fr