[postgis-users] Raster data

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Mar 10 08:45:53 PST 2003

Chrisses:

An underlying object for raster storage exists in PostGIS now, the CHIP
struct. However, we tuned our raster support for DEM data, to support
our TerrainServer product. There is something to be said for storing
everything in the database, in that mangement issues get unified behind
SQL commands. However, as Chris points out, properly managed by *some
kind of system* there should really not be alot of performance
difference. I think the main advantage to DB storage would not be
performance, it would just be the unified "do it with SQL" paradigm.

What needs to be done to bring PostGIS into the raster world? We would
need to revisit the CHIP and think about issues around visual raster and
data rasters, to try and support both types reasonably. We would need
some support functions for doing common operations like mosaicking and
pyramiding in the database. We would need a good data loader. And we
would probably need some good thought on the "best" way to store raster
data, in terms of schemas, attached metatdata, etc. And we would would
need to do up a Mapserver connector so people can visualize the darn
stuff. A WCS server would be good too.

IE, there's alot of work there. How many people are all that interested
in raster storage?

Paul