[postgis-users] prj and SRID relation

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Oct 14 08:58:14 PDT 2004

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I would add that implementing WKT to PROJ.4 translation isn't
> terribly hard, but it is significantly harder to keep up with
> variations in WKT input from different sources, especially ESRI.
> Have to maintain multiple copies of this sort of stuff would be quite
> a hassle for all involved.  My maintaining one copy of it is already
> quite a hassle!

Just by way of an aside, does OGR ever use the WKT in the absence of
proj4? I just find it odd that the library that needs the ability to
parse the serialized form (proj4) is not the library that actually has
the ability. Could you be persuaded (somehow :) to move the WKT support
to proj4 and deprecate the OGR side, thereby maintaining a single point
of maintenance, but having that point be proj4?

Paul