[postgis-users] Ready for 1.0.0 ?

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 04:04:39 PST 2005

(cut)

> Do you think an RC4 would be the correct solution to make the
> people test the latest fixes? Strk could then release 1.0.0
> unchanged if RC4 is fine.

Yes, I think especially as strk has fixed one crashing bug since then. I'm
just not convinced that RC3 has been out long enough for people to test to
make sure that the Mapserver connector issues have been solved etc.

> Fine. What is your experience building the jdbc2 stuff on
> windows? I'm pretty shure some additional weird problems
> might pop up there. You should check out the latest CVS, as
> there are some Makefile changes compared to RC3 that may ease
> building in your environment.

The only change I've had to make so far is to change RUNCP and BUILDCP to
use semi-colons instead of colons - otherwise the building under Windows
fails. I don't know if it's possible to build some of this functionality
into the Makefile or to just simply make a note of it in the comments
somewhere.

Another thing: I've compiled the JARs as standard using a 1.4 JDK. However
the notes on jdbc.postgresql.org aren't particularly clear as to which
versions to use. In particular, it notes that JDBC1 is obsolete with
PostgreSQL 8.0. What do you think would be the best way to compile the jdbc2
driver? I'm thinking of compiling with a -target 1.3 option, and including
the resulting standard/debug JARs in the Win32 installer?

> I think we should make as much testing as possible.

Agreed. I must admit I haven't looked at the regression tests in a long time
to see what coverage they give us, but I'm hoping that passing the
regression tests should be a good enough indication that PostGIS works on a
particular platform.

Kind regards,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd