[postgis-users] Error while importing data

Nigel Kukard nkukard at lbsd.net
Wed Mar 9 22:00:20 PST 2005

Hi Guys,

I'm new to postgis. I got shape files from our local government,
containing all data for South Afica.

I installed postgresql 8.0.0, postgis 1.0.0-rc3, proj 4.4.9, gdal 1.2.5,
php-5.0.3 & mapserver 4.4.1

The first thing i did is pipe lwpostgis.sql & spatial_ref_sys.sql into
pgsql.

I continued to run shp2pgsql on one of the shape files to insert it into
my database with
shp2pgsql -d drainagexxxxx.shp drainage > /tmp/postgis.sql

I then tried to pipe the /tmp/postgis.sql into postgresql,  but got the
following error...

BEGIN
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "drainage_gid_seq"
for serial column "drainage.gid"
CREATE TABLE
                                   addgeometrycolumn
 public.drainage.the_geom SRID:-1 TYPE:MULTILINESTRING DIMS:4
 geometry_column fixed:0
(1 row)

ERROR:  Invalid type in wbk
ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
transaction block
ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
transaction block
ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
transaction block
ROLLBACK

most of the shape files import fine, there are a couple of types which
give me the above error.

any help would greatly be appreciated, if need be I can attach the
actual sql file or any other info needed.

Regards
Nigel Kukard