[postgis-users] Re: PostGIS porting to Solaris

Matthew Perry mtperry78 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 29 00:15:40 PST 2005

Don,

  "centroid" is performed by the geos module, I
believe. What version of geos are you using?

 We were unable to get early versions of geos to
compile properly on Solaris... It would crash on every
query using a geos function. This was fixed with the
release of geos 2.0. Definitely consider a geos
upgrade along with the 1.0 version of postgis.

take care,

Matt Perry
Advanced Spatial Analysis Lab
Humboldt State University

From: Don Drake <dondrake at gmail.com>
==========>

We've developed a product using PostGIS 0.8.2 using
Linux.   We're
porting it to Solaris and have run into a problem with
the DB crashing
on simple spatial queries.

Here's the query that crashes on Solaris (but not on
Linux):
select
centroid(GeometryFromText('POLYGON((-86.9671883390996
41.2752652196155,-86.9642032882465
41.2752651809174,-86.9612182374049
41.275265064823,-86.9612184425768
41.2730131125765,-86.9612186477253
41.270761159446,-86.9642034934066
41.2707612755221,-86.9671883390996
41.2707613142141,-86.9671883390996
41.2730132673567,-86.9671883390996
41.2752652196155))', 4326));

I'm running Solaris 9, gcc 3.4.2, postgis 0.8.2, Geo
1.0, Proj 4.4.8,
Postgres 7.4.6.